Mao and the Cold War
Our next unit will explore the rise and rule of Mao Zedong. Mao is our final leader of an authoritarian state, a "key" figure in a civil war and an important player in a number of Cold War Crises. This unit will help you support you in answering the Paper 2 Topics 10, 11 and 12. We will be guided by the following key questions:
1. What were the causes of the Chinese Civil War?
2. What were the tactics, foreign support, outside events and key turning points that led to CCP victory in the Chinese Civil War?
3. How did Mao Zedong and the CCP establish control in China?
4. What role did China play in the origin, escalation and conclusion of the Korean War? (CW Crisis)
5. What role did China play in the origin, escalation and conclusion of the Chinese Offshore Island Crises of 1954/1958?
6. What were the causes, key events and consequences of the Great Leap Forward?
7. What were the reasons for the Sino-Soviet Split and what impact did it have on the Cold War?
8. What were the causes, key events and consequences of the Cultural Revolution?
9. Why did the United States reopen relations with China and how did it impact the Cold War?
10. How should history judge Mao Zedong and his rule in China from 1949-1976?