top of page
Fascist Italy and Nazi Germany
Two authoritarian regimes that fundamentally shaped the first half of the 20th Century were the Fascist government of Benito Mussolini and the Nazi government of Adolf Hitler. In this unit we will examine the rise and rule of each of these dictators and attempt to evaluate to what extent they achieved totalitarian control. We will also take a look at a culminating event of their foreign policies on the eve of World War II, the Spanish Civil war. Our unit will be focused around the below key questions:
1. What were the conditions in post-war Italy that led to support for the Fascist Party?
2. How did Mussolini solidify his control by 1927?
3. What were the domestic policies of Mussolini and to what extent were they successful?
4. What were the conditions in the Weimar Republic that facilitated the Nazi party's rise to power?
5. How did Hitler solidify his control over the Nazi Party and Germany by 1934?
6. What were Hitler's domestic policies and to what extent were they successful?
7. What were the foreign policy goals of Mussolini and Hitler and to what extent were they achieved by 1939?
8. What were the causes, key events and consequences of the Spanish Civil War for Spain and the international community?
Resources: We will be using a few resources for this unit that are available in the library as well as additional resources that will be available from the website. The books to be checked out for this unit are:
Italian Fascism by De Grand
The Interwar Years: Conflict and Cooperation by Todd, Bottaro and Waller
The Spanish Civil War by Frances Lanon
Short Answer Questions
Homework Past Paper 2 Essays
Italian Fascism and German Nazism = In-Class On Demand Essay
Compare and Contrast Hitler and Mussolini = Essay Plan
The Calendar outlines the plan for our day to day in class activities and the homework that will be assigned. The expectation is that students complete all homework assignments for the next lesson unless otherwise indicated on the calendar. While we would like this to be set in stone, unforeseen events and intriguing tangents might change the plan so if you are ever in doubt on what is due and when, please ask
Something Interesting to Check Out: Documentary about Football (soccer) and Fascists
Review of I.B. Exam
On-Demand Writing Sample
Post War Italy and the Rise of the Fascist Party
How Mussolini becomes Prime Minister?
March on Rome
De Grand Chapter 2
HW: Complete Short Answer
(Thesis and 3 paragraphs)
To what extent was the rise of Fascism a popular movement?
Mussolini's Consolidates Power 1922-1924
How and why did Mussolini setup a dictatorial regime in Italy in 1922-1927?
Weimar Germany and the Great Depression
Compare and Contrast Hitler's appointment as Chancellor to Mussolini's appointment as Prime Minister
HW: Read pgs. 155-160
HW: Essay Plan: “Hitler became Fuhrer by manipulating legal loopholes in the German system and by gaining popular support through a masterful propaganda campaign.” To what extent do you agree with this statement?
Essay Plan = Thesis statement, Topic Sentences, Evidence, Secondary Evidence/quotes of Historiography, Restate Thesis
Hitler's Consolidation of Power
Causes of the Spanish Civil War
HW: Complete organizer on the causes of the Spanish Civil War
bottom of page